Ultimate X-Babes #20 - Storm
*Ink + Marker on 11x14 Bristol stock
Comments: This piece was sitting around inked for over a month and I was determined today to get it done. The reason it was set aside for so long was because I didn't really know how to go about actually doing what I was visualizing for the background.
The background on the inks was completely blank. I didn't want to ink the lightning bolts or define any cloud forms with ink. What I had visualized would be a completely markered background. And what I ended up just making up as I went along actually worked out close if not exactly what I imagined.
I lightly penciled the lightning bolts, and then proceeded to work dark to light from black to blues, slowly working closer in on the shape. By the time I reached ultramarine, I had enought shape defined that I erased the pencils and proceeded with the final blue shading. I then went with the white ink to add touch ups on the lightning. It went a lot smoother and easier than I had hoped. Tho I did end up using some black ink for the black areas of the background after all..
That's not to say there weren't a few casualties along the way. You might not be able to tell from the scan, and you *might* be able to see it if you closely examine the original art, but I originally started the background markering in the bottom right quadrant, using the Chartpak AD markers. I tested the color range on a scrap paper first and I thought everything was A-Ok. But after a minute or two of blending them on the final piece, it started to cbleed worse than I had imagined, especially into an area that would be yellow. So I switched to Prismacolors for the rest of the background and fortunately was able to cover up the bleed pretty well with the white ink.
The other casualty was with the Metallic Silver prismacolor marker for the X. You can probably see the streaks on the circular part. Well, I dunno how or when, but the marker had broken and was leaking profusely from a part between the tip and the center. I washed it off (and a lot of the 'juice' drained as well), taped it off and made sure to test it frequently on the scrap paper. (I was THAT determined to finish this piece today). I thought it performed well (and I gave it a viking funeral afterwards), but alas it is a bit streaky, so I'll have to get a replacement and touch it up after all (then I'll re-scan and replace this one).
But gosh darn it, it's done! Huzzah!